Lisa and David's Kitchen - BEFORE
A trio of challenges for Lisa and David
When it comes to kitchens, who out there isn’t looking for a smarter use of space and maximum storage potential? That was certainly the case for Lisa and David in the village of Merrow, Surrey. Their kitchen installation presented them with three major challenges…
Firstly, an internal window allowed a view of the conservatory from within the kitchen but limited the use of space in front. Secondly, a chimney breast in the dining area of the kitchen had staggered depth recesses either side, limiting cabinet options for storage.
In addition, a large archway between the kitchen and dining area had a low set curve, blocking out natural light and restricting the walkway between.
How could they bring light and more functional storage into their kitchen without spending tens of thousands in the process?
Clever solutions from Saffron Interiors
We sent our kitchen design gurus round to Lisa and David’s house to assess the scope for improvement. With their three challenges in mind, we proposed and carried out the following activity, all within their set budget:
- Removed that internal glazing and reduced the size of the aperture, retaining the light but creating more space.
- Introduced a handy sill to act as a shelf between the kitchen and conservatory.
- Changed the curved top section of the archway and took the walls further back to open up the width and height of area.
- Blocked up the obsolete fireplace so that the couple could utilise the space in front of the chimney breast for storage e.g. wine rack.
- Squared-off recesses to accommodate tall, full depth storage units.
- Adopted a fresh and airy aesthetic by using the Nordic range in ‘Light Grey’ and ‘Kendall Oak’, accompanied by Neff appliances.
- Gave the kitchen a subtle modern twist by pairing seamless square edged Mistral resin worktops in ‘mist’ and leaving décor rails off tall and wall units.
- Fitted all standard cabinets with vinyl shaker Scapa doors to keep the project affordable.
- Spread the light and created the illusion of yet more space with smoked mirrored splashbacks framing a Blanco ‘Andano’ sink with Blanco ‘Max’ taps.
Proposed Floor Plan
Photo-realistic 3D CAD Design
What the client said..
“After many visits to kitchen design teams in the area, we settled on Saffron Interiors who listened carefully, showed great patience and were committed to providing an exceptional personal service. What we mean by ‘personal service’ is that Saffron really wanted to get the design right for us so that we would be happy with it.
“It was less about the sale for them (unlike many others) and more about making it right for us. They designed and project managed fitting our kitchen. The result is perfect for us. Would we use Saffron again? You bet! It was a real pleasure working with them.” – Lisa & David Blackbourn